Rachel read law at the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London. She was called to the Bar in 2011.
Rachel has a broad practice in civil litigation involving administrative, immigration, commercial, company, land, matrimonial, regulatory and disciplinary matters.
Rachel is experienced in a wide range of work relating to the Immigration Ordinance (Cap. 115) and Registration of Persons Ordinance (Cap.177). She advises and represents private individuals as well as corporations on various immigration matters including right of abode applications and appeals on eligibility for permanent resident status and identity cards, removal orders, conditions of stay and extension of stay, admission scheme for Mainland Talents and Professionals (ASMTP) and Capital Investment Entrant Scheme (CIES).
Rachel is also instructed for work involving listed or non-listed companies. She advises on the licensing and compliance of regulated activities under the Securities and Futures Ordinance, Cap 571 (SFO) and applications relating to the Payment Systems and Stored Value Facilities Ordinance, Cap 584.
Rachel represents both individuals and corporations on Securities and Futures Commission, Stock Exchange of Hong Kong (HKex) and the Hong Kong Monetary Authority investigations or inquiries.
Beside her civil practice, Rachel has a growing criminal practice and has undertaken defence work before all courts up to and including the Court of First Instance.
Rachel has experience as adjudicator or member in various statutory tribunals and appeal boards. She is currently Chairman of the Appeal Tribunal Panel (Buildings), Adjudicator of the Registration of Persons Tribunal and Immigration Tribunal. Her other public appointments include:-
Member of the Administrative Appeals Board;
Member of the Appeal Board Panel (District Cooling Services); and
Member of the Buildings Energy Efficiency Disciplinary Board Panel.
- Barrister at Law (Hong Kong) (2011)
- CEDR Accredited Mediator (2013)
- PCLL, University of Hong Kong (2010)
- LLB, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London (2009)
• Adjudicator, Immigration Tribunal (2015 to 2020)
• Adjudicator, Registration of Persons Tribunal (2016 to 2022)
• Member, Buildings Energy Efficiency Disciplinary Board Panel (2018 to 2021)
• Chairman, Appeal Tribunal Panel (Buildings) (2018 to present)
• Member, Appeal Board Panel under District Cooling Services Ordinance (Cap. 624) (2018 to present)
• Member, Administrative Appeals Board (2018 to present)
• Member, Air Pollution Control Appeal Board Panel (2022 to present)
• Member, Water Pollution Control Appeal Board Panel (2022 to present)
• Lexis Nexis Practical Guidance-Dispute Resolution (Personal Injury-Employers’ Liability and Damages)
• Lexis Nexis Practical Guidance- Dispute Resolution (Personal Injury- Trips and Slips)
• Disclosure of Interests and Power to Investigate Ownership under Section 329 of the Securities and Futures Oridinance (2022)
• Archbold Hong Kong 2022 and 2023- Chapter 40- Environmental Offences
Administrative Appeals Webinar (Leading Speaker, October 2022)
• CPD points eligible webinar on the law and strategies on Administrative Appeals.
• Prepared seminar materials and PowerPoint presentation.
• Led a team of 2 junior members.
Practice Groups: Commercial Law, Administrative Law and Criminal Law (Senior role, 2021 to Present)
• Providing internal training to members of Chambers.
• Providing updates on the relevant area of law, updates on recent cases and experience sharing.
• Brainstorming ideas and executing strategies for practice development.