Administrative and Public LawArbitrationChanceryCommercial LawCompany and InsolvencyCompetition LawCriminal LawEmploymentFamily LawIntellectual PropertyLand and Property LawMediationProbate and AdministrationRegulatory and DisciplinaryTax LawTort and Personal Injuries
Wilson Hui’s practice covers a wide range of civil and commercial matters including the areas of tax, charity, contracts, mergers and acquisitions, medical and professional negligence, personal injuries and matrimonial disputes, etc.
Wilson’s clients include leading global and local companies, international accounting and advisory firms, investment companies, business leaders, charity and philanthropist, legal and medical professionals, insurers, and the government, etc.
Wilson renders specific legal advice and opinion on various tax and compliance matters. His experience includes advising a well-known charity in Hong Kong, and a group of companies with high-value assets on tax and compliance issues. He also received instructions from the Commissioner of Inland Revenue and taxpayers for handling tax disputes.
Wilson handles mediations, arbitrations, and tribunal hearings. He also acted as expert on Hong Kong Law in court proceedings in Mainland China and Taiwan.
He is enrolled as a legal practitioner of the Supreme Court of Victoria, Australia. He was a part-time tutor at the School of Law of City University of Hong Kong between 2007 and 2009. He served as a committee member of the Special Committee for Young Barristers of the Hong Kong Bar Association between 2006 and 2008.
Called to the Hong Kong Bar in 2006.
Enrolled as barrister and solicitor in the Supreme Court of Victoria, Australia in 2006.
- University of Hong Kong (PCLL)
- The College of Law, New South Wales (Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice)
- University of Melbourne (Bachelor of Laws, Bachelor of Commerce)
- St Joseph’s College, Hong Kong
For the Commissioner of Inland Revenue:
– Handled tax appeals concerning tax disputes.
For the taxpayers:
– Advised an organization that enjoys tax exemption under section 88 of the Inland Revenue Ordinance on compliance issues concerning its various investments and projects (led by Senior Counsel).
– Advised on tax issues concerning debt forgiveness.
– Advised on tax issues on interest income earned by a company.
– Represented the CEO of a US company in a tax appeal to the Board of Review. One of the issues was whether the sum of about USD7.29 million received by the taxpayer pursuant to a confidential settlement agreement should be chargeable to salaries tax (B/R, 44/12).
– Advised on stamp duty issues in respect of a lease agreement.
– Advised a group of companies on profits tax issues including the locality of their trading profits (either in his own right or led by Senior Counsel).
– Advised a toy manufacturing company on tax deductibility of bad debts (led by Senior Counsel).
– Advised one of the largest global manufacturers on compliance issues regarding import of materials to Hong Kong.
– Advised an international company which is also listed in Hong Kong on compliance issues.
– Represented the successful plaintiff in seeking a warrant for committal against the defendant for failing to comply with court orders in relation to O.48 of the Rules of High Court (HCMP 58/2018).
– Advised and represented a hydropower company in a dispute arising from the mergers and acquisitions of over 20 companies at the consideration of over RMB 300 million (HCA 901/2015).
– Advised and represented a businessman in a High Court trial. The commercial disputes lasted over a decade and involved complicated issues surrounding the development of a piece of land in the PRC (HCA 2811/2003).
Trust and Charity
– Represented a philanthropist in an action against an organisation that enjoys tax exemption as charitable institution under s. 88 of the Inland Revenue Ordinance for mishandling of funds. The issues include the applicability of the cy-pres doctrine and charitable trust (HCA 1261/2016) (led by Senior Counsel).
– Advised on the charity status of an organisation and its activities (led by Senior Counsel).
– Represented two insurance professionals including the top selling director of an international insurance company who have both successfully defended all the disciplinary charges against them at the Insurance Agents Registration Board (IARB). The allegations include the mishandling of clients’ funds and failure to render proper advice on insurance policies (as co-Counsel).
– Represented the successful claimant in an arbitration. The claimant, an aircraft management company, has successfully claimed against the aircraft owner for its fees and charges incurred. The claimant also dismissed all counterclaims alleging the breach of aviation rules, failure to maintain the aircraft and provide adequate pilots, cabin crew and mechanics. Expert evidence on aviation regulations and aircraft maintenance considered (as co-Counsel).
– Advised a shipbuilder on contractual and arbitration issues (led by Senior Counsel).
– Handled personal injury cases concerning traffic, industrial and workplace accidents, etc. Regularly advised plaintiffs, defendants/insurers on the issues of liability, quantum and evidence.
– Advised insurers on issues including insurance coverage and policy liability.
– Acted in a claim against a surgeon of a public hospital regarding the quality of a surgery performed.
– Acted in a claim against a dermatologist in private practice regarding laser and wounds treatment received.
– Advised on a claim against a private hospital for failing to diagnose and render proper treatment.
– Advised on a claim against a barrister for negligent advice in a civil action.
– Advised on a claim against a solicitors’ firm in a conveyancing transaction.
– Advised on the maintenance for a child.
– Advised on matrimonial finance and maintenance for the wife and children (led by Senior Counsel).