Carter was called to the HK Bar in 2012, specialising in competition law. He advises public and private parties in relation to competition matters. In 2015-2016, he was appointed as a legal counsel to the Competition Commission (Hong Kong). He is now a member of the Hong Kong Bar Association’s Special Committee on Competition Law and a non-governmental advisor to the International Competition Network. In 2016-2019, he was also a Professional Consultant of the Faculty of Law of The Chinese University of Hong Kong, teaching competition law.
Carter is also experienced in public law and criminal law. He had been appointed as a part-time lecturer in constitutional law and administrative law by The University of Hong Kong (2013-2015) and The City University of Hong Kong (2014-2015) until he accepted his appointment at the Competition Commission (Hong Kong) in 2015. In 2016-2019, he taught constitutional law, administrative law and civil litigation in The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
Carter also accepts instructions on general civil and criminal matters on a regular basis.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Economics for Competition Law, King’s College London (2016)
- LLM in Competition Law, King’s College London (Distinction) (2011)
- PCLL, The University of Hong Kong (2010)
- LLB, The University of Hong Kong (2009)
- BSocSc (Government & Laws), The University of Hong Kong (2007)
- British Chevening Postgraduate Scholarship (2011)
- Non-Governmental Advisor, International Competition Network (2018-2020)
- Legal Counsel, Competition Commission (Hong Kong) (2015-2016)
- Committee Member, Committee on Competition Law, Hong Kong Bar Association (2012 – present)
|• COVID-19 – The Law Un-masked: Competition and Co-operation During the Covid-19 Outbreak (view article)|
Competition Commission v W Hing Construction Ltd (CTEA 2/2017)
HKSAR v Raphael Hui & Ors (HCCC 98/2013)
Leung Kwok Hung v President of the Legislative Council (No 1) (2014) 17 HKCFAR 689
Leung Kwok Hung v President of the Legislative Council (No 2) (2014) 17 HKCFAR 841
HKSAR v Chow Nok Hang & Anor (2013) 16 HKCFAR 837
Paddy Chan & Ors v Secretary for Justice & Anor (FAMV 28/2013, 19 August 2013)
Ho Chun Yan, Albert v Leung Chun Ying (2013) 16 HKCFAR 735
Turbo Top Ltd v Lee Cheuk Yan & Ors  3 HKC 578